Wednesday, June 23, 2010

From Ashbridges Bay to the Scarborough Bluffs

If you have ever wanted to walk from Ashbridges Bay to Bluffer's Park:
1. Don't
2. It's nearly impossible, unless you want to go wading.

Map 1.


Map 2.

(Taken from Google Maps.)

My friend and I stupidly decided that it would a good idea to walk along the beach for as long as we could. The first map shows our walk on the nice boardwalk that frames the various beaches in "the Beach" neighbourhood. The red line shows that we stopped at the water filtration plant at Victoria Park Avenue, which is located right on the edge of Scarborough--where I started my photo journey.

The second map shows the adventure from the water filtration plant up to Bluffer's Park. There was no boardwalk here. We walked across many beaches, took scary muddy paths, and climbed over hills of rock. All in all, it took us about three and a half hours to make it through that madness.

After the jump is the adventure in photo form.



The R. C. Harris Water Treatment Plant


I look to the left.


I look to the right.


Then we saw three little girls walking with intention. It was here where my friend and I sort of mutually decided to walk as far as we could. "They know what's up," I said. We followed them through this break in the fence, on the edge of the plant property.


This beach was what we found when we ventured down. We met up with the little ones and I asked them if we could walk all the way along the beach. They said yes but warned us about a cave, which possibly inhabits a hobo or coyote. We continued on...


Random piece of beach art.


As we kept going, we found a folded up piece of paper with writing on it.


Of course, we read it! It was a pretty well written story about hippopotamuses for Christmas.


The beach was obviously not intended for people to laze around on. Oh, and that dock of rock is called a groyne, written groin in the U.S. They're a man made attempt at limiting shoreline erosion. Apparently the groynes trap sediment creating these beaches.


NOOB BEACH
(Formerly Nood Beach, but I prefer Noob.)


Looks kind of tropical, doesn't it? We felt like we were in Lost.


Crash of the waves.


So from the pictures you may be thinking that this was a leisurely walk on the beach. Let me assure you that it wasn't. The beaches are pure stone and it was rainy and muggy. On top of that, some areas were only passable by climbing over very scary mounds of rock. And once, we were forced to take a tiny, muddy path through this high grass.


It was here that both of us completely freaked out. Before, we saw a tent about fifteen metres away from the shore. We're pretty sure a homeless person lives there. Anyways, we both could have sworn we heard someone following us. It was so scary. But thankfully, there wasn't--to the best of my knowledge.


I'm assuming this wall of giant rocks is also an erosion-limiting feature. Luckily, there was a flat top that we could walk on.


Bluffs.


Fossils!


Metal wall to catch falling rocks?


Stinky warm sewer thing. We had to cross right in front of it. We held our noses.


Groynes! So many... We crossed approximately a billion of these!


While my motto for our three and a half hour trek was, "There's no turning back now," these Bluffs were impossible to pass. The Bluffs directly meet the water so there was no walking past. So, "We have to go back now."


And the road that were were so happy to see. Just up this steep hill was civilization. It was so lovely.


My poor shoesies. Completely drenched with water and mud.

THE END

4 comments:

  1. I love this post. Might try this trek myself next summer. Thanks for the inspiration :)

    I.K.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Sounds like a great adventure, bravo to you guys.

    ReplyDelete
  3. well done/documented

    hey, is the water EVER warm...trying to go waterskiing, but it's NUMBINGLY cold right now (July 1)

    ReplyDelete
  4. i can't wait to see by myself

    ReplyDelete